Moxibustion involves the focused application of warmth on the body by burning natural compressed mugwort leaf (Folium Artemisiae Argyi). Moxibustion is commonly given in two ways - by lighting moxa sticks, and using the heat to warm acupuncture points, or by lighting moxa cones that are placed onto the skin directly onto acupuncture points.
In both cases, the warmth and energetic properties of the mugwort leaf is used to improve circulation, warm and relax tense muscles, relieve pain and promote relaxation and wellbeing.
What can Moxibustion be used for?
We will often recommend moxibustion for a number of symptoms and most frequently for the following:
- Breech presentation during pregnancy
- Menstrual issues such as period pain, irregular periods and ovulatory disorders, commonly linked with endometriosis and polycystic ovary syndrome
- Painful conditions such as fibromyalgia, neuralgia
- Muscular tension and sports injuries
- Digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome