Are there any circumstances where you should not have acupuncture?
Acupuncture is generally not recommended if you:
- have low blood counts - the risk of bleeding is increased if you have a low platelet count, and the risk of infection is increased if you have a low white blood cell count
- suffer from haemophilia
- have lymphoedema as the risk of infection is increased if acupuncture is performed on limbs with poor lymph drainage.
Acupuncture must be performed by a competent practitioner such as Lily if you:
- are pregnant - some acupuncture points should be avoided or stimulated more gently as strong stimulation can cause contractions of the womb
- are undergoing fertility treatments, such as IUI and IVF
- wear a pacemaker or have a heart murmur.